Saturday, October 08, 2005

Normal, IL

I have a confession. Before I share though I must set the context. Today I was cleaning out my car which was littered with gas receipts, cd cases, baseball equipment and a couple of tool kits. However, as I always do before I begin to clean the car, I put on a cd. It just so happened that a perfect cd was already in the player and I began to labour away to "The Normals". My confession is this: I love The Normals. As far as I know I'm the only person alive (or in Canada)who owns this cd. The tragic part about this whole love affair is that the band broke up shortly after I purchased their first album. I did find out that the lead singer took Derek Webb's spot in Caedmon's Call so maybe I can live vicariously through them now. Oh and Normal isn't actually a place in Illinois but I guess they thought that their town was pretty average.

The Survivor.

I stand in the bloodfield shell shocked and guilty,
The sole survivor of what we all had coming.
And feelings are fiction as we watch our loved diving
And for some strange reson we just keep on marching.
The ice that drips from isolation has melted me to this.
In all of my power this is all I can offer,
And it's broken, it's broken, it's broken.
But somewhere the good king has been claiming His victory,
And it's offered, it's offered, it's offered to the survivor.

My greatest confession is that what I claim dearly
is the very thing that leaves me so scared.
I know peace lies in silence and prayer is its heartbeat
But I don't feel it beating in me.
What if I find in the quiet that all I am is the sum of my habits.
In all of my power this is all I can offer,
And it's broken, it's broken, it's broken.
But somewhere the good king has been claiming His victory
And it's offered, its' offerd, it's offered to me, to me.

And your answer to my questions is to be still and know
That I Am and I Am Love and I Am and I Am Love.
And right here the good king has been claiming His victory,
And it's offered, it's offered, it's offered,
It's given, it's given, it's given to the survivor.


Here's the only Normals concert that I've ever been apart of...(only because of this link).
http://www.creativesitesmedia.com/normals/ram/normals_best_i_can.ram

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lewis, as much as i Love and look up to you and as strong as the Lyrics for Survivor is, i have listened to Normal and you are still the only person in Canada who likes them. Sorry man. Thanks for introducing me to other good music. You were on a roll for a little and i had big hopes for this band but....maybe next time. Hope you're doing well and Happy Thanksgiving

Tim said...

Not to be a geography geek or anything but Normal is a city in Illinois. It's a twin city in that it borders on Bloomington. So you sometimes here those cities referred to as Bloomington-Normal. I played football there once when I was 14. I think that their high school sports teams are called the "Ironmen". We beat them anyway, bunch of suckas.

NathanColquhoun said...

ya i still don't like them
but their lyrics have potetial i guess.

Anonymous said...

The Normals were one of the most creative and original bands around. You either loved them or hated them and I miss them a ton. Survivor is one of my all time favorites.