Sunday, February 05, 2006

k[no]w Emergent!?

As some of you may already know, I’m organising a conference with a couple goods friend called The Evolving Church. We invited Brian Mclaren, Donald Miller and Chris Seay to come because their writing has struck a chord with us and we feel like they are saying things that we needed to hear. We think this is a good thing.

What I have found in the last couple months of planning this thing is that a) people think this is an Emergent conference and b) there are some people who think Brian Mclaren and company are the anti-Christ. First, I’d like to clarify some things about this conference. We are in no way pushing the Emergent ‘agenda’ (whatever that may be), but are really concerned about the Church and feel that there are a lot of people our age who may be thinking the same thing. Our experience inside church was not necessarily detrimental to our understanding of the Church, but we think that Church, especially in North America, has not been in operating in the manner which God has called it to.

Yes, Brian and Chris are forefront in the Emergent movement but this isn’t a conference to discuss Emergent, its to discuss how we, as the Church in Canada can take on the vocational attributes that we may be lacking. It is not a ‘local church’ bashing conference, but a chance to understand where we can go from here.

It’s sort of my running joke with Fulster that Emergent has left itself undefined, contributing to the overall stigma that it is simply pushing a post-modern agenda. Ie: what do they believe? "we don’t know, they just won’t say…" While I will admit that Mclaren has been more publicly inquisitive than affirming in regards to issues of doctrine, Emergent has defined itself here at Emergent Village

Some people may not agree with this or other Emergent ideas, or the things that some people who associate themselves with this movement write, (Sweet, Pagitt etc.) but that doesn’t disqualify them from speaking about the state of the Church in the 21st century, does it?

I have come across some blogs that spend way too much time dissecting every sentence of these people as their act of service. I have found that every time I read these blogs it leaves me disappointed, not because I’m pro Emergent but because it is often done with a mean spirit, using absolute propositions and leaving no room for dialogue. It has been my experience that these statements only lead to putting people on the defense, which only further a separation between the two sides and certainly isn't edifying. Emergent may be wrong about a number of things…its true! But saying ‘you are wrong and I’m right and that’s that’ is only widening the denominational divide among believers. It’s like I have to take sides between Emergent and non-Emergent. To think this way is to miss one of the points of the movement, which is to recognize that denominations have destroyed us and if we could only talk about our differences with open minds and a heart that is seeking to be faithful to God, then we’d be much more effective as ambassadors of Christ.

In other news, I dropped C.S. Lewis and picked up Managing Non-Profit Organisations. I like it. Our floor hockey record: 2- 0- 1, but that may change soon as our goalie will be away for most of the rest of our games, so I may be strapping on the pads—seems like a fitting end to a my last season (Lord willing!).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, do you find any humor in this. You state that this is not an conference focusing on the Emergent church. However, two of the biggest speakers and draws are two of the most influential characters of the Emergent church. If this was unintentional then that is funny. But I'll give one guess as to what agenda will be pushed. Funny stuff.
j

Chris Lewis said...

We know that Brian and Chris are Emergent. Don is not, or rather he is only affiliated by the people who read his books. It isn't an Emergent conference. I'm guessing that the word Emergent church isn't mentioned infrequently during plenary sessions. Chris is talking about the past, Don is talking about his experience in the Church and Brian about the future. Agendas that may be pushed include things like: missional living, community, church history, scripture etc, things that are stressed in Emergent churches sometimes...but those are obviously not patented EMERGENT ideas...

I think 'characters in the emergent church' is a funny line.

Chris Lewis said...

correction, "i'm guessing the word Emergent is mentioned infrequently during plenary sessions"...

i'll give you kobe for caron butler, straight up!

Anonymous said...

the biggest draw from what i am hearing from people outside of tyndale is miller, and he isn't really part of the whole emergent church thing. honestly, from reading some of the books out there by these guys, my attendance at the conference will have absolutely nothing to do with signing on to be a part of the emerging church, because if you asked me i couldn't even really tell you what it is all about. i like their ideas and their stuff makes me think about my faith and the church...that is the reason why i am sure there will be many people coming out.

Anonymous said...

First off Caron for Kobe. I'd be ripping you off.

As far as the Emergent Church goes I wasn't trying to imply any negativity towards the conference or "Brian" or "Chris". I thought it was humorous what you said I think that yourself picked up on that.
I'm also glad you like the word Characters because it was meant to be a little humorous.
I also thought maybe you would like some dialogue you know a friend to offer trades to and to let you know when your getting ripped off; like Kobe for Caron. I’ll admit he’s had some set backs but he’ll be a star or I’ll eat my words. Ok so I was wrong on Carobe.
I'm starting my own community called "I have the right answer in this postmodern world where there is no one right answer".
I think I'm on to something. Any joiners.
j

Helen said...

hey chris, surfed in here looking for "wedding dress" lyrix but have totally stuck around to read some of your stuff. this post struck me, as i just finished reading searching for God knows what (by miller) and truly enjoyed how much thinking it made me do. i've been fairly irritated at the church for a good bit now, and have been noticing similar discontent in most of our "de-churched generation". it encourages me, though, to know that so many people are becoming more concerned about what God wants the church to look like instead of embracing what we've always done. thanx for the good read!

*@ngel@* said...

hey chris. i met you at the conference. you guys did a great job! im really glad i got to go. (tell your friend who looked after the Q&A thanks for letting me ask the very last question. haha)

i am also taking nonprofit studies. leading and managing the n.p. sector is my minor. it's good stuff.

well, take care! i hope these sort of events will keep coming. my friend christa, www.clsawyer.blogspot.com - also loved it.

bye!