Thursday, October 26, 2006

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors


The blog title was the name of a play I was in for Gr. 12 Drama back in the day. The line that was repeated constantly throughout the drama was "Good neighbors make good fences and good fences make good neighbors". I was reminded of this today when I read that the US is building a 1000 km fence to keep illegal immigrants out of their country. In the play the neighbors end up becoming suspicious of one another (what are they hiding over there?, why can't I see what's going on?) and the morale is that good neighbors don't have fences.

You can read about the fence here.

I wonder if we'll reach the point where the US needs to put up a fence to keep out Canadians? I also wonder if there's a better solution than a 1000km fence?- such as helping Mexico become a place where a person is able to make a living and actually wants to live there...

No comments: