Monday, June 04, 2007

trampolines

When I first started this blog over two years ago there was a high 'Jesus count' in the posts. I would write about passages and sermons and all of these things and what I was learning. I don't really write about those things anymore and I'm not really sure why. It may be because I have less a grasp on the 'authority' of Scripture- that is to say, strict, traditional interpretations of some things have gone by the wasteside for now as I've sort of tried to figure this whole thing out.

In Velvet Elvis, Rob Bell talks about theology as a brick wall and how people are afraid that if you pull one brick out the whole wall will come tumbling down. He suggests theology as a trampoline- where the springs have some give to them and will expand and condense depending on how much you jump, but you don't need to be afraid that they'll break.

I think that was me for a while, jumping up and down on that trampoline and seeing how much I could get those springs to move. I think I still am that person, mostly because I would never want to rest my entire theology on one interpretation with the fear that if that one thing changes it will all be over.

However, the reason I'm not sure about the trampoline right now is probably because of situations and questions that have been coming up about almost everything you can think of- especially those controversial topics. It seems as though living in the gray just doesn't seem like an option. It seems as though these situations call for a right or a wrong, complicated as it may be. If it's wrong then what do you do? If if is in fact right, but the brick used to say that it was wrong- well, how do you get over yourself?...and start jumping...

I think I need to get out of school and read read read (ironic... don't you think?)

In other news I went with Joe Berg to watch Game 4 of the Stanley Cup finals tonight. We went to TGI Fridays in the hopes that they'd have the big game on. What do you think was playing when we arrived? If you guessed women's softball you would be correct. We ended up going to Chilis and asking them to change the channel (as it wasn't playing there either)- they humbly obliged.

No comments: