Friday, May 13, 2005

Groundhog Day

I remember getting my sweet little car in 2001, at which point that tiny racer was 13 years old. The first question people ask when you bought a car in high school was either: so what kind of rims are you going to get? or the classic: what kind of stereo you got in that thing? In some strange post-fall way, these questions provided us with a sense of worth.

A feeble attempt to buy friends left many of us with little cash in the old bank account and an overpriced cd player in the dashboard. I was having this conversation about a week ago with a couple friends from school, discussing how odd it seems now to have found value (even if we wouldn't have admitted it at the time) in a frame of metal (aka: my mustang, which alas has become its most vicious nickname- a rustang). Not that I don't desperately seek the approval of others now but maybe its in different way, in fact I know it is. Now it's in the approval of the reading material on my bookshelf or in wanting someone to ask what I got on my term paper (upon occasion..) or the classic, 'so, how many goals you score that game?'... (a question that was severely lacking this past year). All of this to say that I'm still trying to figure out this whole finding my complete value in and only in Christ- thing. I'm still learning...after all that money spent...

It's a learning curve that involves starting over everyday. I remember speaking with a good friend at camp last summer about the Christian life and how when I was young I thought "its easy to be a Christian when you're older, it just happens"...I didn't think that "I'll just be a Christian when I'm older and not be one now" but it just seemed easier. One of the biggest things I'm reminded of every single day of my life that sometime between the time I close my eyes at night and open them in the a.m, my life has started over. It's like this strange version of Groundhog Day because I'm given the chance to try another day at life. It's not totally the same because the people change, the setting changes but the purpose and the idea that today I either live the life I'm called to or I don't....the choice is there every morning.

I guess I thought there'd be a lot more continuity in the Christian life but bless the Lord that it's new everyday. This is one of the good parts about being a Christian...if yesterday I screwed it up...today is brand new. Now, I've heard it said that that is the greatest part of being a Christian-- 'there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ.."etc, but lets be honest here, I don't think the point of that passage was a "get out of sin free card"... No-- God still desires personal holiness everyday, but the good part is that everyday is a new opportunity embrace the life we're called to.

From A to B...but I'm not sure how I got here. I hope you all are well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wowza.

This is SO much of what I have been learning over the past month.

I can't even express how much it resounds with me...well i could, but that would take more time than i think i have right now, since i should be sleeping.

But that's what it IS about...day by day...be HONEST with God with where you are at, so He has something to WORK with...and then you're able to grow. Bit by bit. and it just keeps going. it's about a relationship. which involves growth. not ONLY trying to model or follow some way of life...if you constantly look at yourself trying to see how you can "become a better Christian" you'll only find yourself being a mimic...you won't be an authentic new creation in Christ.

And it's true about that passage, it isn't a "get out of sin free" card....it's the "i'm forgiven/able to have a clean conscience and continue living for Christ today" card.
well its 4am...it was the most sensical thing i could come up with. :)

we're all in it together under Christ,
Michelle K

Anonymous said...

Chris, thanks, gave me new insight to each and everyday, you can always change the way you are and the way you are living. once again impressed,
heidi