Tuesday, May 29, 2007

defined by what you're not...

About two years ago Steve and I were writing the business plan for Epiphaneia. I forget the exact words but somewhere in the introduction I had described Epiphaneia as ‘not a _______ and not about ______ (something or other). Steve said that we shouldn’t focus as much on what we’re not about as what we are about.

I drove back to Philadelphia today by myself. I kind of got slowed down at the border but made the trip in a shade under 7.5 hours- which included three different stops (one coffee, one lunch, one gas). Somewhere around hour four I started to think about that comment that Steve made- that we shouldn’t be defined by what we’re not about but instead what we are about.

Of course this can relate to all sorts of different scenarios but the one I attributed it to the most was the Christian life. The ‘world’ (if we want to call it that) knows what we’re not about- we (well, maybe I’ll say- evangelicalism) has drawn the lines pretty clearly in declaration that we are not about lots of things and of particular concern in the last ten to twenty years are abortion and gay marriage.

I think we need people to speak prophetically to governments if what they are doing is wrong. But what would happen if Christians became known for what they were for instead of what they are against? Of course I suppose that what one is opposed to and for exist in tension with one another.

Mulling this over.

I also think its easier to sustain something that you are for than against. Maybe some G8 Summit protesters will disagree with me on this one but I would find it hard to sustain a passion for being against something- because issues always change- there is always something trendy to be against. Would you rather be defined by being for one thing than against something? I think the former. As an example I would rather work actively for peace (a peacemaker...) than just against war. The real question I want to know is what am I for?

A few things that I have decided to be for:

sharing, community, peace, and love (wins).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I addtion to your suggested 'for' list, I would add rocking out.

Anonymous said...

Good idea although

NathanColquhoun said...

I've heard that said a lot, especially in the critiques of the emergent church or whatever, but there needs to be a balance, because I want to also be known for not being for injustice, not being for hatred and dishonesty. But you are right a focus on i guess justice, loving and honesty in many cases makes a lot more sense, but by doing that we automatically create a stand against he opposite.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.