Tuesday, February 27, 2007

on the Maple Leafs

I forgot that today was the trade deadline in the NHL until I was reading a newspaper and saw that it was in fact today. I subsequently saw that that the Leafs made the worse deal in the world (again). This may not mean much to a lot of you but I have to say this... Yanic Perreault (whose contract is up at the end of the year) for Brenden Bell (a promising rookie d- who admittedly is buried on their depth chart but should be a solid 4-6 some day) AND a second rounder is an absolutely brutal deal. Okay, so Brenden Bell maybe- but a 2nd rounder too? In the words of the immortal Chuck Swirsky "Are you kidding me?"

I hearby declare that I am boycotting the Maple Leafs for 3 years as management continues to make these ridiculous moves, or until the GM is relieved of his duties. I will now whole heartedly turn my NHL allegiance to the team of choice, a team with a future- the Pittsburgh Penguins...(the bandwagon is here...all aboard!).

Of course, since you can't simply change your mind on matters of the heart, I will probably still be inclined to see how my friends in the blue and white are doing- and who knows, maybe they'll make the playoffs...in which case, I will suspend my boycott until further notice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! tough words. for the life of me, i can't understand why the leafs would not have been looking to move sundin and tucker. when you see what kind of deals were being swung, the opportunity to bring in young talent and picks and actively move forward ... it makes no sense. if i were a leaf fan, i would not want them to make the playoffs and buy into the illusion that they are competitive and on the right track. the pens, though? a bit cliche, don't you think? they are not a team of the future, they could very well go far this year. all this to say ... i applaus you, lewis.

Anonymous said...

A lot of changes this year Lewis...MNC's are gaining your approval, full out pacifism - - did I hear you say that at one point?? And now THIS? I definitely concur with Ian, WOW! What a mess. I might not approve of irresponsible trading, but I mean this is serious business. You don't want to walk out on the last eight minutes, only to discover that they were to be the best eight minutes...

In terms of the Penguins - when I was a lad, before the Penguins won their first cup - - back in the day, I had a friend who hated the Penguins and this was enough reason for me to like them (though I knew relatively little about them...as I do now). So, there is a place in my heart for the Penguins.