Wednesday, March 14, 2007

jerry and james...bad news fellas...

Here goes...

Jerry Falwell recently said that global warming is essentially an idea that the devil is using to keep Christians focused on other things besides the gay marriage debate, abortion...and it apparently keeps us from evangelising... (yikes!) James Dobson is also promoting the belief that global warming shouldn't be a political priority for Christians.

Yaaaaaa......... sorry fellas- you're off the mark on this one. For what its worth, I hereby declare that those two are no longer allowed to speak on behalf of me and the greater Christian community. In fact, I'd like to declare a moratorium on Focus on the Family and Moral Majority until we review their theology and/ or the amount of funding they stand to lose when more potential donors realise the environment is a worthy cause and that their organizations are evidently ill-equipped to speak on behalf of the environment.

Here is the thing fellas-- it's not global warming that I'm really concerned about. I mean, its not like I haven't seen the stats that tell me that the polar ice caps will melt ala Al Gore... and its not like I don't think that an increase in tropical storms and the shifting of ocean currents are a good thing- I don't. However, like I said- global warming isn't my concern- or rather it is, but by default.

The reason is this- environment care is a matter of Christian responsibility. In fact fellas, if we looked through some of that Book you have there we'd see that Land is an essential part of God's gift to his people... and stewardship of that land- well, it goes without saying. Now at this point I'm sure you (or some of your friends? where is Tim anyway?) might want to get into new covenant arguments, new Jerusalem sort of stuff and the infamous end times forecasts,-- instead lets just agree that land should be cared for, here and now.

That isn't to say that we should forget about morality and embrace the new Sodom and Gomorrah (why did that city get trashed again?...lets look that up...Ezekiel 16:49...which represents another problem of your misfocussed attention...) but we can't just sit back and drive our SUV's past those polluting factories who dump excess chemicals into your Colorado/Virginia rivers... or can we? Should we...is that what you're saying?! Do we really want entire lakes to disappear (thank you oil sands) and for the ecosystem to get all messed up and on top of that to see an increase in cancer rates all because 'the man' wants to make as much money as he can while he can?... you have got to be kidding me....

Stewardship is a moral issue.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

while i am fully on board with your points about stewardship and the necessity for Christians to be concerned about the environment, I have actually heard and read some stuff which doesn't really buy in to Gore's gloom and doom scenarios. Yeah, too many Christians take the position of 'the world is going to be destroyed anyway, so what does it matter?', but I'm not sure that I am ready to believe that Florida is going to disappear or that New York city will turn to ice ... what, I think that was a movie I saw once. I think I am going to look more into the arguments for an against the inconvenient truth presentation of the 'facts'.

Anonymous said...

Ian & Chris,
Check this out:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/13/science/13gore.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

And remember, this is the NY Times.