Friday, March 16, 2007

ravines and basketball teams

There is a ravine with hiking paths and such only a five minute walk away from where I live. When you're in the middle of the ravine you can barely tell that you're in the city, which is nice sometimes. Yesterday I took a book down there, parked myself on a fallen tree beside a stream and spent an hour reading in 15 degree (Celcius) weather. It was fairly peaceful until a large "bark!...." (or 'woof'!...however you want to say it..) came from behind me. I took a look back and saw a little dog on the leash of what appeared to be a nice lady. We engaged in small talk... the conclusion of which occurred as she looked around and as she was obviously was enjoying the weather said, "too bad that all hell's going to break loose in 12 hours"...

I assumed she wasn't talking about the apocalypse... although her statement has been partly prophetic.

Today I was sent home from work because of freezing rain/ snow- which has continued all day and even as I type continues outside my window. At 5:30pm I was going to drive over to the grocery store and grab a large pizza that is on sale on weekends for fairly cheap. The grocery store is a 3-5 minute drive away- maybe less... As I was about to grab the keys for the car my roommate informs me that someone just came from that grocery store and it took them an hour to get back....an hour!

Needless to say I didn't get that pizza...instead I looked through the refrigerator and ended up having 2 pieces of chicken and a porkchop for dinner.... and a glass of water (with ice- cubes, not crushed).

In other news, Villanova lost in the opening round of NCAA tournament. I was really hoping they'd do well so that I could see what happens in university towns when their teams win during March Madness... well, maybe next year (wait, probably not...)

No comments: